June 12, 2009

My Lovely Jean

I smell the cold in the rain.
It touches me through the screen
And weeps for my gain:
Its nemesis, my lovely Jean.

I found her beauty in the blue
Beyond the loamy medium,
Far beyond the multi-hue,
And further still from all this tedium.
Through it she pulled me to her heart,
And all that I called ‘I’ repined-
Since now its world was torn apart
By Love that pulled me from its bind.

Now pain sleeps in the silhouettes-
In clouded blues above and bold-
And thunders down on Jean its threats,
While shedding tears that smell of cold.

-jwm



Of the Poem:

The idea was to represent redemptive love mythologically. The story is of a person pulled into the heart of the highest heavens and, leaving the viler aspects of nature behind in the clouds, is made one with heavenly Love.

The darker aspect of the poem is Pain (in many ways one's former love), of which the raining sky and those thunderclouds represent.


I chose only to follow a rhyme scheme (there's no intentional meter).

3 comments:

Jen Jen said...

I love this! It definitely calls to me about love and a longing so deep for it that your willing to endure what pain might come with it. I like how your being pulled through to love "through the screen" "pulled me to her heart" "love that pulled me from it's bind". Sometimes I think we try resist love so much but you can't help but be drawn to love and be loved.

John W. May said...

I was telling a friend that it reminds me of something Plato said:

We ought to fly away from the earth to heaven as quickly as we can; and to fly away is to become like God, as far as this is possible; and to become like him is to become holy, just, and wise.

Jen Jen said...

It does have some remarkable resembelence, in as much as the reference to the heavens. I love the first two lines of that one. Fly away from earth to heaven as quickly as we can. I have often thought of something like this and only if it were possible.

The Poets

As of April 9th, 2010