February 15, 2020

A Poetic Fragment by Lt. Commander Data: A Sunset Bloom


The last two stanzas of a poem written by Lieutenant Commander Data (2338 – 2379), from Star Trek (The Next Generation): Schisms, Season 6 Episode 5

A SUNSET BLOOM

Then we sat on the sand for some time and observed
How the oceans that cover the world were perturbed
By the tides from the orbiting moon overhead
"How relaxing the sound of the waves is," you said.

I began to expound upon tidal effects
When you asked me to stop, looking somewhat perplexed
So I did not explain why the sunset turns red
And we watched the occurrence in silence instead.


Of the Poem

Stanza Type: Quatrain 

Meter: Anapestic tetrameter (i.e. four sets of "two unstressed syllables followed by one stressed" one per line)

Rhyme scheme: aabb ccdd 

Composition: Stardate 46154.2

It is said that, in reality, the poem was written by the visual effects artist of Star Trek (The Next Generation), Clay Dale. Others believe that it was written by Star Trek producer and writer of the above episode, Brannon Braga. Whoever wrote these stanzas, my hat is off to you. Very enjoyable read, and I especially enjoyed hearing Data read them on that episode. I only wish that I could have read the poem in its entirety, or heard the Lieutenant read it.

If you would like to hear Data recite a poem in full, Ode to Spot, click on the link and check out a post I did some years ago.

No comments:

The Poets

As of April 9th, 2010